Crossing the border wasn't as big an affair as it sometimes seems to be. It was very quiet, we were basically the only persons. The only odd thing was that customs asks you what religion you are. And then we were in Eilat, known as one of the way stations of the Israelites. It's either about here, or an Arab village in Jordan, slightly more south.

We felt very sweaty after a day in the bus, so went first by taxi to the Shelter hostel, and then we walked down to the beach to have a swim. It was dark by now, but you could still make out that the water was very clear. Next day was Sunday. No churches here. There was a Bible study done by a Presbyterian pastor from the States. This was actually very sound. He talked aboud baptism by the Spirit and that, when asked if you had been baptised by the Spirit, this was code language for: have you spoken in tongues?

But he then want through all verses in the Bible, seven in total, which talked about baptism by the Spirit. Five of them are prophetic (i.e. it would happen in the future: Pentecost), one is historic: it had happened, and one was teaching on the subject: every believer is baptised by the Spirit when reborn. What believers should seek instead is being filled by the Spirit.

We had some interesting meetings with local people. We met a Jew who was the only one of a family, with wife and children very hostile.

On Sunday evening I read some parts from John Flavel's "Mystery of providence".

On Monday morning we woke up very early. We wanted to be in the Red Sea before sun rise. So at 6am I woke up the kids. Only Dieuwe didn't want to come, but both Auke and AnneRoos went with me and Ida. And we managed to be in the water before sun rise.

No photo of that of course, as we were in the water! Eilat has various beaches, but the main one is fairly small, and I suppose extremely busy during the day. This is looking West, the small sandy beach at this location is to the South, left of this picture.

This is the beach, taken a bit further back.

Then back to the hotel were we had breakfast. This is 07:34am in the morning. The sun rises quite fast here and it's already getting very hot. Temperatures are about 36℃ at this time of year. Amazingly hot.

After breakfast I went with AnneRoos to pickup our rental. This was a bit of a search as our booking said Shalom Plaza Hotel, but this appeared to have been renamed to Sea beach hotel. We have a very nice car, a brand-new Ford, fairly large, and comfortable. I also needed a new sim card for my USB stick. Got a Cellcom use-as-much-as-you-want per month one for just 150 shekels. Unfortunately this appeared not to work in my laptop when we went back to the hostel. I went back to the guy who sold me the card, and he suspected a sim lock. In Engedi I had internet access to confirm this, and this appeared the case. Bummer. I've requested a sim unlock code from Vodafone, which they supposedly will send in a few days. In the mean-time we just have poor internet access unfortunately.